Some cheeky person commented on an image i made parodying the BNP’s Nick Griffin, suggesting that I should read the UNITED NATIONS DECLARATION ON THE RIGHTS OF INDIGENOUS PEOPLES and expand my mind.
As a student of archaeology I find the notion of an indigenous British population frankly amusing, so I thought I might offer my thoughts and response on the matter regurgitated here
…since it’s first occupation several millennia ago Britain has been a rich mixture of people featuring a diverse range of origins, races, ethnic backgrounds and beliefs.
So, it all depends on how you define indigenous.
- Do you mean the African hominids that first appeared on the British landmass, long before it was a separated from Europe?
- Perhaps the Germanic hunter-gatherers who settled here after crossing the channel during the last Ice Age?
- The Romans who immersed and bred themselves into Iron Age society after 42AD?
- Maybe the northern-Germanic tribes – the Angles and Saxons from which the term Anglo-Saxon (and ‘England’) derives – that settled Britain in the post-Roman period?
- Possibly the Norse that dominated large parts of northern and eastern Britain in the 9th and 10th centuries?
- Per chance the French Norman invaders who arrived in 1066?
Saxe-Coburg and Gotha– sorry – Windsors that currently rule Brittania?
- Or are you referring to the members of the Commonwealth countries that arrived – invited – to help rebuild post-war Britain?
- Maybe our European cousins who have arrived in Britain keen to make a life for themselves by putting in a hard day’s work – the opportunities for which are numerous when so many here seemingly have no inclination to do so?
But then again I’m perhaps not entitled to comment. I was born in England the grandson of a German refugee who came here in the Second World War to escape the threats of a nation that feared and had turned against anyone that was different from an artificial ideal manufactured by a mad man.
Britain was a nation that welcomed her, protected her and accepted her. If these qualities ever desist to apply then I’ll be on the first boat out of here.
As one commenter on the Flickr post said, ‘Owned’.